And while I rarely set foot inside a church anymore, I still try to do without, to restructure, to dig a little deeper during these 40-odd days. While I know that some folks take Sundays off from their disciplines (I guess that Sundays are celebrations, and therefore exempt), I don't get it on a cellular level. I don't think my mom would've bought the "SO, I'm going to give up chocolate, but I still get some on Sundays, ok?" line. Ever.
But this year I'm trying to also find balance, so one of my disciplines has a weekly day-off built in. And I have to say, it's making life ever so much more civilized!
(For some background, I try to do two or three things for Lent: give something up (something that I love: my dad gave up watermelon seeds every year, but I still think that's cheating.), adding a daily discipline and a daily spiritual/community component. My daily discipline a little self-serving: it's to work out every day.
Every. Day. From Ash Wednesday (2.17.2010) until Easter (4.4.2010).
What have I done?!?
I've been good the last several days...a jog, some classes at the gym, and some quality time on the elliptical. But I am whupped. The house is dirty, the fridge is bare, and the mountain of laundry certainly won't wash itself. And yet I can't imagine leaving my cozy little nest to do any of those things.
Time to re-caffeinate and restart the day, I'm afraid.
If you're in the same boat as I am, here's my new-ish gym playlist. It makes me happy. Well, happier than I would be with no tunes, certainly.
- Shut Up and Let Me Go - The Ting Tings (I sing along. Which is probably why no one takes the machines on either side of me. It's a win-win.)
- California English - Vampire Weekend (Such fun stuff!)
- Sunrise - Yeasayer (I love these guys.)
- Hit the Wall - Brendan Canning
- Bad Body Double - Imogen Heap (I'm so there, most days.)
- Cousins - Vampire Weekend (I needed 2 VW songs. Heavy rotation!)
- Helpless - Sugar (Bob Mould when he was screamier - I love it.)
- The Phunky Feel One - Cypress Hill (I might be the oldest, whitest person to still listen to this tune.)
- Only the Good Die Young - Me First and the Gimme Gimmes (listen out for "mild abrasion" - cracks me up every time.)
- Sabotage - Beastie Boys (This is my JAM. You'll know if it's on because I'll be smiling like a total ass.)
- A Little Bit More - Jamie Lidell (get that heart rate down a little...whew...)
- Breakdown - Black Gold
- I Met A Girl - Wheat
- Do the 45 - Ryan Shaw (This is the last-ditch push. Before I keel over and die in a pool of my own sweat.)
- Take Your Mama - Scissor Sisters (Cool down. Aaaahhh...)
Ok...cup of tea, game plan for the afternoon. Wish me luck! (Do you think my couch will be lonely if I leave her? Maybe I should wait a while...)
- Fuzzy blankets.
- Challenges, self-made and otherwise.
- Health insurance.
- Unscheduled time.
p.s. If you're in the greater DC area and are interested in running the Race for the Cure in June, shoot me an email. The more, the merrier!