But I'm treating it as a personal new year. As in, I'm spending today doing the things that I'd like to carry forward into the next several months.
- Spending quality time - and not just time-in-the-same-room - with hubby and the animals.
- Getting organized. (Yes, while I hate cleaning, I'll be doing some much needed scrubbing/purging. If you're looking for kitchen supplies or clothes, you should email me at days' end. I'll totally be able to help you out.)
- Making music. I have a date with a piano and some seriously fabulous poetry.
- Writing lesson plans. I'm teaching this class in a few weeks, and need to reconstruct my LPs from the first go round. I also need to update my pop music binder. Wheeee!
- Gym. Just for an hour, but I'll be there. For an hour. One.
- Eating well and healthfully.
- Taking time to reflect and be grateful.
Right now? I'm working on that last one. Sitting on the porch, coffee in hand. Thanking the neighbors for making sure our (overfull) garbage can made it to the curb while we were relaxing at the beach. Watching a little female cardinal hop on the railing towards me, head cocked, not sure if she should be nervous or not. (Watching the cat watch the cardinal...you don't need to be afraid of me, but the cat? Perhaps.) Noticing that the porch needs a good sweep, that the plants need a drink, and deciding that maybe my tidying cycle will begin out here.
What's your not-so-new-year's resolution?
- Time away from normal routines.
- Great friends and neighbors.
- Sore muscles.
I also ate a bag of cool ranch doritos, three big handfuls of tiny-yet-evil oatmeal (read: BUTTER) cookies, 2 glasses of sangria, and a full-on steak dinner. I did not go to the gym, write any music or lesson plans. So, while I didn't sit still all day? I didn't work out and I ate a bunch of my favorite foods.
I guess I'd consider today a win.